Hi there and a very warm welcome!
A person may seek out a psychologist for a number of reasons. Many individuals do so because they are experiencing pain and discomfort within their lives.
This often impacts on one’s behaviour, emotions and thinking patterns, making their daily life extremely challenging. It can also have an effect on one’s work and social life. This can precipitate feeling stuck, debilitated and unequipped to manage things alone.
One might also visit a psychologist in order to attain personal growth, life enrichment or to try figure things out. They might be driven by the aim of attaining greater self-awareness and thusly enhance their lives by living more mindfully and consciously.
Here are some common reasons why the assistance of a psychologist is considered:
- Feeling sad, alone, worried, tense, anxious, inadequate or self-conscious.
- Being easily annoyed or irritated.
- Having a difficult relationship with a friend, partner or family member.
- Struggling with intimacy and romantic connection.
- Feeling unfulfilled in life – yearning for a change to come.
- Having concerns with appearance, not feeling satisfied with one’s body image.
- Struggling with eating habits and appetite.
- Feeling concerned about one’s child or children.
- Having a chronic illness or disability.
- Going through a significant life stressor (such as moving house, getting married or having a child).
- Making a difficult life decision.
- Drinking or using substances.
- Having experienced a trauma or critically stressful event (such as hijack, rape or death).
- Experiencing grief or loss of a loved one.
- Having difficulty relating socially with others.
- Experiencing challenges in one’s work environment.